OhmConnect Super User Has Earned Nearly $9000 in Two Years
She’s learned the tricks to earning big during #OhmHours and getting others on board
When Kim McDermott first shared her OhmConnect story on her social media platforms, she didn’t expect much to come from it. She was simply happy that she’d earned a few bucks in a unique way, and wanted to let her friends know.
What her active social presence and commitment to #OhmHours has earned her however, is far more significant than a few ‘likes’ on a post.
Since joining the program just under two years ago, Kim’s posts about her experience have referred more than 200 people to OhmConnect, earning her nearly $9000.
“When I see people on the Facebook page saying they quit after cashing out their $20 signup incentive, I shake my head,” she said. “I don’t understand why you’d quit something that is giving you free money - it’s the program that keeps on giving.”
The Victorville resident lives with her husband and her brother in a 1200 square-foot home, and all three of them commit to #OhmHours regularly.
“My husband used to complain he couldn’t watch TV during #OhmHours, but now thanks to OhmConnect, he’s gotten an even bigger TV, so he’s ok with it,” she said with a laugh.
Earning big, even with a low energy baseline
Perhaps one of the most noteworthy things about Kim’s amazing earnings is that her home is already energy efficient and their forecast is typically low.
“We rarely get a forecast higher than 1 kW/h,” she explained. “Except for days when it gets really hot - and we live in a desert so it gets HOT - we are never the people who can earn $50 just for unplugging. For us, it’s all about the status levels, streaks and referrals.”
With an enormous number of people having used her referral link to get started on the program, most of her profit comes from referrals. She shares her OhmConnect link on her personal Facebook, as well as in various groups. She also uses tokens she earns on the platform to purchase Referral Madness Cards, to amplify the points.
“There was a promotion last year that said if you got five referrals to sign up, you could earn a free smart thermostat. I got 53!”
Her team, including the person who referred her, and their combined referrals have collectively earned more than $48,000 and have reduced more than 3000 kw/h.
Kim’s tips for referring others to OhmConnect:
- Post about your experience on your own social media channels and in groups you’re a part of. Kim is a member of more than 20 groups on Facebook and she shares her OhmConnect experience with them regularly.
- Share how the program has gone for you, and the successes you’ve had. “Every time I cash out a payment from OhmConnect, even if it’s as small as $23, I’m sharing it on Instagram. Who wouldn’t want to earn $23 for nothing?”
- Be honest. Kim experienced some frustration when her points were miscalculated during one #OhmHour, but contacted customer support and got the problem sorted out. By sharing that experience with her followers, she ensures she is totally transparent about her experience.
- Tell people about what they can earn (cash, gift cards, and major prizes in the MEGA Summer promotion. “I’ve been telling one friend about OhmConnect for years, but she never signed up. As soon as she heard about the $5000 Gift Card to Target, she completed the registration. She’s a Target girl!”
- Follow up with friends who may have signed up initially, but not completed the registration. “I make it a habit to send people a note once I see that they’ve signed up using my referral link, and make sure they know what the program is about, the benefits and how they can connect their utility account to start earning.”
Kim sees her referrals as a way of giving back
Kim is thrilled that while she’s earning money for her family, she’s also exposing others to a platform they’d otherwise have not known about, helping them (and California) save energy, and letting others in on the profit as well.
Here’s an example: a friend of Kim’s hurt her ankle, had to take some time off work and was going to be short on cash that month. Kim didn’t have funds to lend at the time, but encouraged her to sign up for OhmConnect, gave her all her best tips and within a month, her friend had earned more than $1200.
On another occasion, Kim saw a woman on Facebook asking for $20 for groceries, assuring her network that she would pay it back as soon as she got her next paycheck.
Kim grabbed what she she could out of her pantry and delivered it. The woman was so thankful and assured Kim she’d see the $20 come payday. Kim told her not to worry, to just sign up with OhmConnect instead.
“It took her a little bit, but she did it,” Kim says. “We both got that $20.”
Now, Kim watches the woman move up in the leaderboard each month with the amount of earnings she’s pocketing.
“It’s cool to think I’ve signed up people who have signed up other people and we’ve had this impact together. OhmConnect helps us breathe from month to month, helps us donate to our favorite pet charities and take a vacation here and there. I love it."
As an OhmConnect user, Kim has a unique referral code that will score her $20 for anyone who signs up on her team. Want to give Kim a virtual high five to say thanks for sharing her story? Sign up on her team!